City Pantry provides a service of connecting businesses with food vendors, providing regular lunches and event food for businesses. City Pantry suffered with a lot of manual processes - one of which being managing orders being late or wrong. The solution was to place an app in vendor kitchens, allowing for stronger communication and validation of correct order.
- Vendor (food kitchen) delivering food late to client
- system has many moving parts (client orders > processed > order sent to vendor > vendor confirms > vendor cooks > vendor supplies driver > driver delivers to client)
- lack of visibility as to what issues are causing food to be late
- lack of understanding about problems from vendor
- lack of feedback/communication between City Pantry and Vendor
- lack of data on what causes issues with vendors
- Vendor interviews, visit multiple vendors find out where their problems arise and how they seem things being fixed
- collate interview responses into user stories
- work with product manager and dev team to spec out an ‘in-kitchen’ app that gives the vendor more data
- wireframe and interactive prototype app solutions - user test with vendors
- iterate on feedback, develop full UI spec for app to be prototyped in kitchens
- monitor app usage, spot visit kitchens to see app in use - learn how vendors use the software
After discussing the problems in detail with the internal team, collaboratively sketching the funnel - and isolating its pain points - the next step was interviewing a breadth of vendors. Talking to them about their relationship with City Pantry - why problems arose and how they saw them being fixed.
Taking these learnings and applying them to detailed user stories we were able to remap the product flow - streamlining the internal process to eradicate system errors.
This then highlighted the functions the vendor would require from an app - a system that lets them know how long they have left to complete the order, where the driver is, tools to communicate late orders or problems, all in a simplistic interface that doesnt clutter the kitchen.